Wondering what makes Mongolian Pancakes the must-try morning treat? Bringing the vast landscapes of Mongolia to your plate. Perfect for those who crave a touch of adventure in the morning, this recipe combines the traditional with the unexpected.
Get ready to discover how these pancakes seamlessly combine the conventional and the extraordinary, promising an unforgettable breakfast experience.
Who Are Mongolian Pancakes For?
Mongolian Pancakes are for anyone seeking a break from the ordinary, a departure from the standard breakfast fare. If you’re a food explorer, someone who loves experimenting with flavors, or simply a pancake fan looking for a twist, this recipe is tailored for you.
The blend of savory scallions, rich feta cheese, and a drizzle of honey creates a symphony of tastes that will awaken your senses and transport you to the vast Mongolian landscapes.
How to Make Mongolian Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in the scallions and feta cheese, creating a luscious batter.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and ladle the batter onto the pan to form pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve the pancakes drizzled with honey, creating a perfect balance of sweetness and savoriness.
- Calories: 280
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fat: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Large mixing bowl
- Non-stick skillet
Pro Tips for Making Perfect Mongolian Pancakes
1. Flour Blend Brilliance: Combine all-purpose and buckwheat flour for a balanced texture and delightful nutty undertones.
2. Egg Expertise: Whisk the egg thoroughly to ensure proper binding and a moist, fluffy pancake.
3. Savory Symphony: Crumble the feta and finely chop scallions for pockets of savory goodness in every bite.
4. Bubble Watch: Cook until bubbles appear on the surface before flipping for perfectly golden pancakes.
5. Honey Drizzle Artistry: Add honey post-cooking, drizzling it artistically for a visually appealing and harmonious sweetness.
6. Topping Creativity: Explore toppings like traditional Mongolian yogurt or toasted sesame seeds for an extra layer of flavor.
Freezing Mongolian Pancakes
Preserving the delectable goodness of Mongolian Pancakes is a breeze with proper freezing techniques. Once your pancakes have cooled to room temperature on a wire rack, take the time to individually wrap each one in plastic wrap or parchment paper.
If stacking, layer them with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Place the wrapped or layered pancakes into an airtight container or a zip-top freezer bag.
Reheating Frozen Mongolian Pancakes
Bringing frozen Mongolian Pancakes back to life is a straightforward process that ensures a quick and delicious breakfast. If using an oven, preheat it to 350°F (175°C) and place the frozen pancakes on a baking sheet.
Cover them loosely with aluminum foil to retain moisture and bake for 10-12 minutes, checking periodically until heated through. Alternatively, opt for the microwave method by placing a damp paper towel between each pancake and microwaving in 20-second intervals until warmed.
Pair Mongolian Pancakes with a hot cup of jasmine tea or freshly squeezed orange juice to enhance the overall dining experience.
Embark on this culinary adventure and treat your taste buds to the extraordinary flavors of Mongolian Pancakes. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is designed to delight you.
Mongolian Pancakes Recipe
Indulge in the exotic flavors of Mongolian Pancakes, a delightful twist to your breakfast routine. These pancakes are not your average morning treat; they bring a taste of the vast Mongolian landscapes to your plate. Imagine a blend of savory and sweet, a perfect harmony that will transport your taste buds to an adventurous journey.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter.
Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
Fold in the scallions and feta cheese, creating a luscious batter.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and ladle the batter onto the pan to form pancakes.
Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
Serve the pancakes drizzled with honey, creating a perfect balance of sweetness and savoriness.
For an extra touch of Mongolian authenticity, try serving these pancakes with a dollop of traditional Mongolian yogurt or a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy your culinary journey to the heart of Mongolia!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Prepare the batter the night before and refrigerate it. Just give it a quick stir before cooking.
Yes, feel free to substitute all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten-free alternative for a gluten-free version of Mongolian Pancakes.